Friday, January 9, 2009

The great Vaccinations and Autism debate!


This kind of hits close to home for me since I've worked with A LOT of autistic kids and now adults. This is the first time I have ever seen it done this way though! GREAT SHOW!


FIRST of all let me say that I not here to judge ANYONE on thier choice, or to say one is a better decision than the other for you. These comments are just what I feel and think after watching this show and I truly believe everyone should make the best desicion for themselves based on the knowledge they have and what they think is best for them and their family!


I watched Private Practice last night and they had a great story line about the whole dilemma of whether vaccines cause autism in kids or not and the dangers of NOT vaccinating your kids!

It was not a big debate over whether the vaccine causes autism, but it mainly hit on the other side of the coin - what can happen if you don't vaccinate your kids!


A mom had 3 sons. The oldest has autism. Was born fine, was a happy child until the age of 2 (or about). After getting vaccinated, "his light turned off" as his mom put it. She TRULY and strongly believes that the vaccine caused the autism in her son.

Well, she has 2 more boys whom she has chosen not to vaccinate.


She had been living in Switzerland for a little while to enroll her autistic son in a special program there for autistic kids and just had come back to the States when her middle son got sick, a cold or something minor she thought.

She had been in the waiting room a long time and he had been playing with other kids there before the doctor got him in the exam room. He had a fever of 102 and after examining him, the doctor discovered he had the measles!

They had to shut down the whole clinic and vaccinate those who were willing and could get vaccinated, go through all the records of everyone and even the CDC had to be called. Big mess. Anyway, the little boy ended up getting worse, was now in the hospital with 104 fever and the mom still refused to vaccinate the youngest son. She didnt want to take the risk of him developing autism too!


Well, her middle son stopped breathing because his throat was so swollen, they had to put in a laser scope to help him breathe and he was getting worse by the minute!

After getting the sick son to breathe and they stabilized him, the doctor went and vaccinated the younger son without the mom's permission!

She was screaming at the doctors saying she was going to sue them and the hospital if anything happened to him. Well, her middle son ended up crashing and no matter how much they tried, they could not save him! They tried ofr over 30 minutes before they called it.

He died of measles complications!


It gave a really good perspective of the other side of what could happen if you don't vaccinate your kids!

I know it is really sad when a child develops autism, but it is not a death sentence!

Having your child get really ill with a disease that could have been prevented if he had been vaccinated and then him dying from it IS a death sentence!


It was SO sad! I admit, I cried! It was so sad to see how here was this cute, healthy boy who had just learned to tie his shoes and loved to play with his brothers got so sick, so quickly and died from a disease that there is a vaccine for!

I know it is a chance you take either way. but after watching this show - I would rather take the chance and vaccinate than not!


It was so sad to see the mom, hugging her 2 other boys and sobbing and hearing her say the words "I thought I was protecting them by not vaccinating them!"


I have to say that when I had all my kids and was a new mom, I never once thought to not have them vaccinated!

I just thought that it was every mom did for thier children, you had no choice. You just did it.

My dad was a pediatrician and in all the years of him being in practice and me even helping out in his office, not once did I hear about someone choosing not to vaccinate their kids.

I am glad that I guess I just did it without ever knowing the dangers, because I know I would have agonized over the decision to vaccinate or not.

And after seeing now how many kids do have autism and seeing how many parents think it was caused by the vaccines, I was on the fence about how strongly I felt about vaccinations, but after watching this show and the perspective they did it in - Wow! Without a shadow of a doubt - I would vaccinate my kids!

You can say I am lucky that none of my kids developed autism because of the vaccine or you can call it whatever you like, but I would NOT be able to live with the fact that I have a dead child that died from something I could have vaccinated him from!


I am not saying you should or shouldnt vaccinate your kids.

I just wanted to say GREAT JOB to the producers of Private Practice for showing us a different perspective of the great dilemma over autism and vaccines! It really got me thinking!










No comments:

Post a Comment